Age of new tires?

Generelt om MC, nyheter, hendelser, film & bilder, MC i media, kjøreopplæring osv.
Svar
Brukeravatar
hypertard
Motorsykkelen din: Ducati Hypermotard 821

Age of new tires?

Legg inn av hypertard »

Hei hei again!

So I need new tires for my bike, mostly due to age but also seeing them getting a bit squared from the highways :redface The tires are from around mid 2016, but I bought the bike used so I'm not sure how long after that they were bought.

I asked 3 tire stores about the expected age of the new tires and the answers I got were: max 2 years, max 3 years and max 5 years, which to me sounds nuts. Unlikely as it may be, it seems like I could buy new tires from that last shop and end up with tires older than the ones I have :scratch

Back home I was used to buying tires around max 6 months old. I remember buying a 7 month old pair for my car and the store owner was all apologetic about how these don't sell much etc.

Are those age margins the norm here in Norway, or should I keep looking? Got any tire shops to recommend for new Pirellis?

Brukeravatar
pekle
Motorsykkelen din: No FUD

Re: Age of new tires?

Legg inn av pekle »

Are you sure they understood the question? Answers sound more like expected "fresh" lifetime in cold storage than expected age when bought. Wouldn't be sound business to stock up on tires and keep them on the shelf for several years.

The Angel GT IIs Løvaas Motor put on my MS last month are produced this year.

Correction: front tire from January, rear was almost a year old.
Sist redigert av pekle den 16 jun 2020, 17:21, redigert 1 gang totalt.

Brukeravatar
hypertard
Motorsykkelen din: Ducati Hypermotard 821

Legg inn av hypertard »

I did ask in English and got a response in English. Here is the relevant quotes:
I was wondering how old will the tires be. I'd be interested in tires made within 2020.
Our tyres are kept in a dark and cold storage, for optimal quality and standard. All tyres shipped and distributed by us are a max. of 5 years old,

Kindest,
Seems to me like they understood the question fine :-k

I'm looking for Angel GT too actually. Good to know Løvaas sells recent ones.

Brukeravatar
pekle
Motorsykkelen din: No FUD

Legg inn av pekle »

OK, "max" can be a long way from average or typical age though. I doubt common dimensions for sport touring tires are kept for many years. Rare dimensions for poseur-bikes more likely.

GeirK.
Motorsykkelen din: 1986 Honda VF700C Magna,Suzuki GS500F 04

Legg inn av GeirK. »

You have no guarantee that the storage is what they say, so don't buy old tires. Tyre's that's older than 2 years I wouldn't buy. But that's my opinion.

Brukeravatar
HeHy
Motorsykkelen din: Kawasaki ZX6R 2006, Honda VFR750F 1997
Sted: Kristiansand

Legg inn av HeHy »

If you buy current generation of new model tires they are rarely old, because the model of tires are not old. For example Michelin road 5, the model is not more than 1 year? Old, so the tires can't be much older.
But properly stored tires is guaranteed good for 5 years from most manufacturers, so that is completely fine.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Svar